Functional Office Reveal

We don't have a spacious or grand office space but it is definitely a necessity. When drawing up plans for our house we carved out a little nook off our dining room.





Here was the problem!





1) At the time we (I) thought I wanted bright walls throughout our home. The brightest was our office in this lovely orange. I did love the color but found at night when I was up late working on the computer it really hurt my eyes. I finally convinced Doug to let me paint it. No surprise that my favorite color is blue so I first chose a few lighter blue tones but they were meh.... AND then I spotted this beauty and my mind was made - striped walls! It was a really slow process at first. I had to prime/paint those orange walls three times with the white base. Then measure and tape the walls. For many months there were three lone stripes all lonely in the room. It was a hot mess since I had cleared everything out of the room all pumped to get it done. Fast forward waiting on cabinets to be built and me waiting until literally the night before install to pull the last of the tape off the walls.

{please excuse the iphone pictures!}



To achieve these perfect crisp lines I sealed the tape with a thin coat of the white wall color. 

And the finished product!





2) Then comes the issue of storage/work space. We started out with a small desk and quickly learned that would not work. We had our builder come back a year later to build a custom desk and added a file cabinet. Farm paperwork can get a little crazy in the heat of the season and most times Doug had to resort to the dining room table to get it all done.






To utilize the entire room and to hopefully solve the above two problems I came up with this magical space that WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE! I still have frames and such to hang and a couple more cabinets to organize but here it is in it's current state.



 To the right of this picture was the previous desk area. It was altered slightly with file drawers where the chair opening was and open shelving for printer/electronic storage where the file cabinet was. As you can see in the picture below the hole is still there where our cords used to be!
 On the opposite wall there were two tall bookshelves where we attempted to store things - these cabinets are so much more user friendly. I was able to move the bookshelves to the upstairs closet where I plan to use for craft/sewing storage.
 And those stripes again {just because I can't get enough of them}! 










Source List
Cabinets - Custom
Desktop Stain - Red Oak by Minwax
Wall Colors - True Navy by CLARK+KENSINGTON & White
Rug - Threashold by Target
Chairs: Ikea


 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Almost ....

Welcome to the family, Camden!

Wedding Bliss