13.1 Weekend

If you told me a year ago that I would run a half marathon I would have laughed at you! That's insane! I've never been a runner, EVER.
 
I started running this past September for health reasons and to help motivate my soccer team to run more.  Both were good reasons to help motivate me as well.  Sadly, only a hand full of my soccer girls accepted my challenge BUT I do have two of them running a 5K with me this weekend!
 
In casual conversation one day my dear friend, Melanie, asked me about training with her for a half marathon.  In typical Wendy fashion I said yes and immediately kicked myself in my mind.  What was I thinking? I've literally only ran one 5K in my lifetime and have just recently started running regularly.  None the less, I was excited for a new adventure!
 
With her help I managed to complete a five month training schedule overcoming: a sprained ankle, runners knee, and two lost toenails.  Keep in mind she is 10 years older than me and fared so much better!!  She literally had to drag me the first couple tenths of the last mile of the race too.  Melanie, I couldn't have done it without you - you are amazing!
 

How beautiful was this? We spent the weekend in Bluffton to soak in family & friend time.
 
 
Pre-race jitters were here at this point!

A friend found this and sent to us through facebook.  This was at the still smiling stage of the race.
The first 8 1/2 miles were awesome! We were making great time and feeling amazing - hyped up on pure adrenalin! Then, I made the mistake of stopping for a bathroom break . . . . . .
After babying my runner's knee for a month prior my knee just locked up.  It was painful but bearable.  It seemed that if I could only pop it back into place it would feel better.  It managed to do this three times for the remainder of the race.  I told Mel to go on without me but she stayed by my side {love her!}.
 
Honestly, without her by my side I wouldn't be able to show you this picture.


Larry rocked the race with a time near 1:45 (not sure exact #) and Mel and I finished at 2:23. The morning of the race I set a goal for us to finish at 2:20.  I  think we could have done under our goal if we wouldn't have had my hold ups. I literally prayed my way through those last five miles.  God is so GOOD! He helped me through this minimal thing in life and I have faith that he can help me through so much more.
 
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
 
 
Post-race celebration lunch at the gorgeous Palmetto Bluff

 
Face every challenge head-on never giving it the opportunity to "go to your head"!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Almost ....

Welcome to the family, Camden!

Wedding Bliss