Lasagna with Veggies!

Here's a way to put more vegetables in your diet without going without your favorite meals - like lasagna!



Ingredients:
3-4 Medium Squash
3-4 Medium Zucchini
Kosher Salt
1/2 Box Lasagna Noodles
1 pound Hamburger
Your favorite marinara sauce
1 pound whole-milk ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 pounds shredded mozzarella 
Salt/Pepper

Directions:
Brown meat, season with salt/pepper or any other desired seasoning, drain, and add your sauce. Let simmer while you start on the veggies and noddles.

Bring a large pot of water to boil for noodles.

Slice squash and zucchini length wise into thin strips. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and line pans with sliced vegetables (I use a pan for each vegetable). Sprinkle kosher salt over veggies - this helps absorb water from them so your lasagna will not be watery or rubbery.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes then flip over and bake an additional 5 minutes.




Mix ricotta, mozzarella ( I reserve a couple handfuls for the topping), and egg together.

Once your veggies, sauce, and noodles are ready you can begin layering. Spray your dish with cooking spray before starting.

I do noodles, veggies, cheese mixture, then sauce. I usually only have two layers with veggies and the last layer is just the classic lasagna.  I only do one veggie per layer such as squash first then zucchini, but you can mix them up if you prefer.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly.  Sprinkle your reserved mozzarella on the top and bake a few minutes longer.  Let cool for 10-15 minutes for an easier cut.

Since I am the only one who eats veggies this I froze individual portions for a quick lunch! When I make this I also make a pan for the rest of my family just without vegetables - just double up on ingredients above!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Almost ....

Welcome to the family, Camden!

Wedding Bliss